Many times when we use HDMI we lose audio, the reasons for no sound issue are various and the problem can be in the monitor, your TV, HDMI cable, wrong driver, Hardware, sound driver, etc.
But don’t worry it is a common issue and you can fix it easily.
Check out these simple ways and try fixing the issue.
How To Fix No Sound Problem
Table of Contents
Make HDMI the Default Device
If you have not set the HDMI as your default device then there will be no sound from the HDMI output, so make sure to set HDMI as the default device and to do so follow these steps
- From the lower right corner of the screen, right-click on the “Sound” button and a menu will pop up.
- Select “Playback Devices” from the menu.
- Choose the “Digital Output Device” option or you can also choose the “HDMI” option from the playback tab, select “Set Default” and click on OK.
- If these options are not visible to you then right-click on the free space on the screen and select one of these two options-
Show Disabled Devices
- Show Disconnected Devices
- Now the default device is HDMI.
Broken hardware parts can also cause this no-sound issue, so do check the hardware of your device
- Check if the output port is working fine or not, and try using other output ports, if your PC has more than one.
- See if there is no fault in your cable and use other cables to confirm if the cable is in working condition or not.
- Check your monitor and ensure that the speaker volume is on or not.
Check the Sound Settings of Windows
- Go to the notification area and click on the speaker icon.
- You will see the name of the device that is currently running to output sound.
- Click on the arrow facing up and a list of devices will appear.
- Select the device from which you want the output sound.
- If you can not see the name of your device then go to “Open Sound Settings” and open the playback tab, It will show you a list of devices that can produce sound and also show you which are not plugged in.
Update Sound Driver
To update the sound driver of your PC there are two methods
Manually: To manually update device drivers go to the manufacturer’s website and search for a reliable and most recent sound driver that is compatible with your device.
Automatically: If you don’t have the perfect skills to update your sound driver manually then you also have another option to do it automatically using Driver Easy.
- Download the Driver Easy app and install it on your device.
- Open the app and click on the “Scan Now” option.
- The app will scan and detect any problems with the sound driver.
- Now click on the update option present on the left corner of the screen and the correct version of the driver will install on your device automatically.
- You can also click on the “Update All” option.
You can use the Chrome operating system instead of Windows as Windows is an old technology then chrome, when we install new third-party programs, we open gates for viruses in Windows, as Windows is not so secure and this can cause many troubles.
If you will use chromeOS then you do not have to install anything, instead, you can use web apps for everything and this will save your system from viruses and can solve the problem of no sound.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Does HDMI transmit sound?
Yes, HDMI can transmit audio signals too, but not all devices can send and receive audio with HDMI.
Q2: Should I update my sound driver manually or not?
If you have the perfect skills and knowledge to update the device driver then yes you can update it manually but if you are not an expert in this field then go for the automatic update using Driver Easy.
Q3: How to reset sound settings on Samsung TV?
Go to “Settings” from the Smart Hub Panel.
Select the sound option.
Go to expert settings.
Click on the reset sound option.
Click on reset to reset all sound settings.