A fast network is a basic requirement for all people in the 21st century. RCN is a leading Internet service provider. RCN has won a lot of awards for offering affordable and reliable internet services. They also offer different services according to your budget and requirements. The modem is used to transfer data from one to another computer via telephone lines. It is widely used to send messages through phone lines, so in case you are looking to install a modem for RCN internet services, you will be required to fulfill certain requirements.
However, RCN does not explicitly share the list of requirements which are needed to be fulfilled. But there are listed specifications by RCN. These specifications are needed in modem to make them work properly with internet services provided by RCN.
A modem approved by RCN should have a minimum of eight channels for downstream to work properly at a maximum speed of 250 Mbps and a Speed of a maximum of 339 Mbps; sixteen channels for downstream are a must.
It Must be certified either by DOCSIS 3.1 or by DOCSIS 3.0. DOCSIS 3.0 modem is older, cheaper, and comparatively provides slow service. At the same time, DOCSIS 3.1 modems are comparatively faster and are based on future needs.DOCSIS 3.1 modems also have lower latency. You will need to rent an RCN device in case you use RCN fiber service.
Also in case you use Phone service from RCN, you are required to lend a modem provided by RCN only. Different Modems are required for different internet plans. For plans of a maximum 250 mbps downloading speed, A Modem should have at least 8×4 channels downstream along with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. For plans providing a maximum 330 Mbps downloading speed, 16× four channels downstream along with DOCSIS 3.0 is required. And for internet plans providing more than 500 Mbps downloading speed, a modem certified by DOCSIS 3.1 is needed.
There are certain factors you must keep in mind before you buy a modem approved by RCN. Some of them are listed below –
- The Least requirement of channels for DOCSIS 3.0 certified modem is 24 downstream channels. You get a higher speed with more channels which defines the bandwidth of your Modem.
- As per your current internet plan, the modem should be able to work fast enough with your internet plan.
- For every internet plan, the Requirements of RCN are different. For a 50 Mbps internet plan, you need a DOCSIS 3.0 or DOCSIS 3.1 modem along with at least 8×4 channels or more. Similarly, there are different requirements for different internet plans of 100 Mbps, 250 Mbps, 330 Mbps, 500 Mbps, and 940 Mbps.
- You can choose a modem and router combo or a separate modem and router, which are connected via an Ethernet port. Purchasing a combo router and modem can be pocket-friendly and easy to set up. However, a separate modem and router have better performance, can be easily customized, and defects can be removed by changing one device.
- You also have to take a look at the range of devices you are purchasing. A better router is suitable for large homes. You need to consider the range of the combo set of modem and router to get proper service.
- A DOCSIS 3.1 or other cable modems, ethernet ports are essential. Ethernet ports are required to create ethernet connections.
- If you are using the RCN voice service, you have two options. You can either get another RCN-approved modem for the internet and for your phone, you can also use an eMTA modem, or You can use an eMTA—modem for both your phone and the internet.
- Suppose you are considering getting a Modem. The more beneficial way is to buy a modem instead of renting a modem for your internet services.
- Buying your own third-party, RCN-approved modem has a lot of benefits, such as the monthly fee to rent a modem is way much higher than the cost of a new modem. You also get faster speed in third-party modems. Also, you get higher control in third-party devices and the best-suited modem according to your need.
- You cannot get a third-party modem if you are using RCN services if you are using RCN fiber cable, or you are a customer of digital phone services.
Top 5 products comparison
|NETGEAR Cable Modem CM500|
It is 16 times faster than the available 2.0.This product comes with a 1-gigabit Ethernet port which can be connected to different WIFI routers or with your computer.It is designed for internet cable plans up to 400mbos speed. Buy on Amazon
It is a 2 in 1 device, comes with inbuilt AC3200 4X4 wireless router technology.It features 4 GigE ethernet ports.It is equipped with a USB 3.0 Port along with DLNA for optimized network storage. Buy on Amazon
|NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem |
It Provides up to 3000 sq ft of wide coverage for wireless connections.It features a 2. 5Gbps Ethernet port.This product Supports cable plans with up to 6 Gbps. Buy on Amazon
|ARRIS Surfboard SB6190 Cable Modem|
This product supports internet plans up to 400mbps speed.It has a 1-Gigabit Ethernet port.You can download 32 channels, and eight channels can be uploaded.Buy on Amazon
|TP-Link TC-W7960 |
It provides download speed up to 343 Mbps and uploads speed up to 143mbps. This product supports eight downstairs channel buildings and four upstream channel buildings.It covers the frequency range of 2.4 GHz.
Buy on Amazon
- Arris Surfboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem Is Justifying Value or Not?
- ▷NETGEAR CAX80 Cable Modem and WiFi Router Review With Setup Process [Sudden link Compatible]
- 5 Best WiFi Extender for Ring Camera Review [Verified] 2022
- Xfinity Error: Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging – No Response Received [Solved]
- 10 Best Projector With Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Review